Multilingual Data & Knowledge
Introducing ODP: Naver’s
Open Dictionary PRO platform
Open Dictionary PRO (ODP) is a free online dictionary platform of Naver Corporation. It was launched in 2018 as part of the Naver Dictionary platform, which features over 60 different dictionary services. ODP has been growing exponentially to include over 3 million entries and 4,400 dictionaries, of which 450 turned into Best Dictionary. There are 300 popular languages, such as English, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Vietnamese, Russian, Arabic, Hindi, Thai, Italian and Turkish, as well as some rare or low-resourced languages such as Belarusian, Daur, Sanskrit and Urdu.
The rapid growth and great success of ODP can be attributed to its smart compilation tools, including video and audio uploaders, and promoting user feedback and proactive participation, as follows:
- Open Dictionary PRO offers a user-participating dictionary service, consisting of an open-type free dictionary compilation tool that anyone can use to develop a new dictionary easily.
- The platform allows the inclusion of various forms of dictionaries, glossaries, and encyclopedias, from those having simple structures that are easily manageable by common users to complex ones that are suitable for language experts.
- Furthermore, the platform is particularly flexible to accommodate the characteristics of diverse languages and the data structures can be freely customized according to different dictionary types.
- Multimedia editors, as well as image, video, and audio uploaders are available for free.
- Users may conduct massive compilation work, using Excel uploading and downloading functions, which makes data sharing more friendly.
- Dictionary makers, owners, and publishers can communicate with their users directly and receive various types of feedback through comments, bookmarks, and cheering messages.
- New dictionaries can be compiled around a specific topic and developed together in a community with invited members. Thus, users may create a dictionary based on their needs and choose to compile it alone or in a group.
The wide range of dictionaries on ODP are gaining attention for their diverse topics, such as slang, language learning, everyday words, game glossary, etc., and are becoming popular among writers who need a private space for lexicographic work. More dictionaries of various specialized topics are expected to be constantly created in the future.
NAVER Corp. is a global ICT company, providing South Korea’s number one search portal NAVER, and its subsidiaries and affiliates offer a wide range of services, including LINE messenger, SNOW camera app, digital comics platform NAVER WEBTOON, group social media platform NAVER BAND, and metaverse platform ZEPETO.
The sustained research and development of AI, robotics, mobility, and other future technology trends are propelling NAVER forward, in pursuit of the transformation and innovation of technology platforms, while remaining devoted to a paradigm of shared growth, joining hands with vast numbers of users and partners worldwide.
In 2018, NAVER was ranked as the 9th most innovative company by Forbes and top 6th Future 50 company by Fortune magazine.
Jonghwan Kim has been leading the dictionary department of Naver Corporation since 2008. He studied Korean History at Seoul National University and has rich working experience at the IT industry in multimedia content planning and managing search content teams.
Lexicala by K Dictionaries collaborates with NAVER Corporation and has provided Naver Dictionary with trilingual Korean dictionaries as well as with parallel corpora including over a quarter of a million bilingual segments to enrich its lexicographic resources, and is about to release dozens of titles including various multilingual dictionaries on the Open Dictionary PRO platform.